Thursday, September 30, 2010

Why I Thrift Shop

When you have a very limited clothes budget but you still want good quality clothes and you need to satisfy your inner fashionista, then the best place to go is the thrift store.  I get 95% of our family's clothes at thrift stores, consignment shops, or yard sales.  I usually generate the money to buy the next season's clothes for my girls by selling some of the clothes that they've outgrown and things I no longer want at a yard sale.  At my last yard sale, I made $300 just selling a lot of little stuff that was hanging out in the garage or the back of my closet. 

Tonight I stopped by the thrift store in search of a red shirt for my daughter to wear for a dress up day she has coming up at school.  I found her a brand new red shirt by Faded Glory with tiny silver hearts on it for $3.25.  It's perfect and it fills the need. 


For me, I found this Ann Taylor Loft sweater...it retails for $39.50.  I found it brand new/never worn for $4.25! 


I also found a pair of Old Navy Dream cut jeans for $7.25 (Retail for $34.50) and a brand new fall purse...black faux leather with cream trim similar to this one...


that retails for $26.99 and I bought it for $5.00. 

So for a total of $16.50 I have a very stylish "mommy on the go" outfit to add to my fall/winter wardrobe.  If I bought these three items at retail it would have cost me $100.99...wow!  See why I like thrift shopping?! 

I hope to share some more of my bargain finds in future posts.  For now I hope this inspires you to just say no to "full price."  Those words just aren't in my vocabulary anymore!  Your budget will thank you. 

3 comments:

  1. i love consignment shopping--i just need some good shops nearby with such low prices! ours tend to price higher for the name brands. great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the Goodwill stores sell all kids' pants for $2.00, shirts for $1.00 etc. Then I look for the name brand stuff for Abby and Nate! Why wouldn't you? I got Nate about 7 pair of jeans (different sizes to grow into) for $3.99 each. Some are Eddie Bauer, Levis, and Old Navy brands. I know that Old Navy had their jeans for $11 right before school started. Also, I have found some things for Abby with the tags still on them! They do have more shops down south than we do up here though. I stock up when I go see my parents! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was some very good deals!!! I got 3 or 4 brand news shirts from Hamricks at the yard sale today. No one bought them so Linda gave them to me when it was over because they were all going to the Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete