Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Book Review: Crazy Love

I just finished reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan for a class I was taking at my church.  I've been curious about the book ever since it came out...there's been a lot of buzz about it among Christian circles.  The premise of the book is that we as Christians should be so overwhelmed in our love for God that we would be willing to really and truly live our lives every day the way God commands us.  In other words, if we want to love God and love our neighbors as ourselves, then we must abandon ourselves and dedicate our lives to giving to others and studying who God is and living to please Him. 

When Chan starts breaking apart what it really means to be lukewarm in our modern terms, it really gets a little uncomfortable.  He questions whether or not the term "lukewarm Christian" is even a legitimate term.  His belief from his study of the Bible is that being lukewarm and being a Christian is an oxymoron...it just does not work!  He gives examples of what he has changed in his own life and what others have done to start literally taking up their cross daily and following Christ.  It is convicting and inspiring to say the least.  This book will definitely make you take a good, hard look at how you live your life every day and most importantly, it will point you to the Bible to search out these things yourself. 

I did not agree with everything Chan said but I found tremendous value in just thinking about my life as a Christian and I was defintiely prompted to make some changes.  I think this book is a great read and definitely worth the time. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. You will have to save it for me to read.--Lori S

    ReplyDelete